Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ubuntu and a Thinkpad. A Beautiful Duo!

After another hour getting my dev tools setup on the Thinkpad I'm even happier with the hardware and software.

The Ubuntu community has high quality docs for all, of the few topics I've wanted help on. For example I now have middle-mouse-button scrolling working; something I missed from my last Thinkpad over three years ago.

Compared to Windows and even OSX, having a truly free OS and free software is liberating. Without question, both Synaptic and the new Ubuntu Software Center make finding and installing software incredibly easy. There are no restarts or system slowdowns. You can queue up several packages and they'll seamlessly download and install in the background. From low bandwidth at a web cafe.

As a developer this freedom and availability is key. If you're on the fence I say go for it!

No comments: